26.1.08

Talking Shop: Pop in to a Pop-Up

Once considered edgy and subversive, the pop-up shop has kind of become fashion's equivilent of absinthe. Even the most mainstream of brands are getting in on the act, watering the concept down beyond all recognition - think the Target pop-up on Melrose a few years back & you'll see my point.

When it comes to temporary retail, it takes a lot to grab my attention - either a great concept a la New High (M)art or a serious financial incentive, like the recent The Way We Wore discount outpost. So it's kind of surprising that two pop-up announcements have made me take notice this week.


First, there was the news that Comme des Garcons will be bringing their pop-up concept to downtown LA on February 16. CDG were basically the pioneers of the guerrilla retail movement, which is why I'm so excited to finally be able to check out one of their shops - it's set to be open for an entire year, so I imagine they've got more planned than just flogging t-shirts.


Then, I got an e-mail yesterday announcing that Nina & Lola, one of my favorite online boutiques, will be opening their first ever popup next Thursday & Friday in London. I obviously won't be able to attend this one, but would definitely recommend it to anyone in the area. As much as I love the shop, a lot of the items I'm interested in are the sort of things you'd need to really see and try on in person, as they're a bit more 'directional' than the normal pieces you'd normally buy online. Not to mention prices at up to 70% off...


Comme des Garcons Guerrilla Boutique, 125 West 4th Street, Los Angeles


Nina & Lola Pop-Up Sale, Grosvenor Chapel Mayfair, Garden RoomSouth Audley Street/Mount Street Garden W1


No comments: