20.2.08

Why Not Try...A Caped Crusade?

I don't know about you, but the last few days of spring-like weather have inspired me to relegate my winter wool jacket and collection of heavy velvet blazers to the back of my closet until next November. Nevermind the fact that I'm always the chump shivering and complaining about it once the sun goes down - I'd rather have that than the unpleasant melting feeling I get when standing in direct sunlight in a heavy coat during the day. Am currently on the lookout for a cape to bridge the gap, and I have a feeling that soon enough, I won't be alone. They've been popping up all over the Milan runways (see Alberta Ferretti and Missoni, left), and they're sure to have a big showing in the upcoming Superhero show at the Costume Institute in New York.

Cozy enough to wrap up in if necessary, yet airy enough to let the fresh air in when it's warmer, the cape is basically a grown-up version of the Pashminas I was addicted to in my college days. Am still not quite sure if I want to go the minimalist route, like the one below by Cassette, or try to find something bolder, like the gorge yellow tartan or white brocade ones by Alexis Mabille. Either way, the cape will fit in perfectly with the whole 'gothic seductress' vibe that's emerging for fall - am envisioning it with a sheer blouse and leather-esque leggings.












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice